Saturday, March 16, 2013

Upcycled Ceiling Fan



Funky Wall Art!
Finished Product!

What do you do with an old-broken ceiling fan....

Make Funky RETRO Wall Art of Course!


I am always sharing about my "trash to treasure" successes. As many who have read my blogs before may know, my husband isn't always a fan of my hoarding. Sometimes, it pays off. I would like to think that this is certainly one of those instances.

It is hard to convey in print how much my husband and I bicker about trashing items. I usually come up with a use for the item, then either win the battle or sneak the item back into the garage....and I would say more than half of the time I never end up getting to my project. Don't think that he doesn't point this out! You can imagine, however, his lack of humor when I asked to keep old ceiling fan blades. The old fan was removed when we moved into out home and just now...3 years later, I have gone back to the project!

I now have an extremely funky wall design that cost me less than $3.00 in total and was tons of fun. This was one that my children could really help with! I can imaging that buying this pre-packaged at a big-box store would have cost over $50. I would have spent money and lost out on precious quality time with my kids!

Here is what I did to create my Funky Focal Piece:


These blades were already white so it required zero painting! :)
I removed the brass hardware which took all of 5 minutes
Found a funky clock at the Goodwill Store for $1.99
Positioned the blades around the clock and secured with screws
DONE


This project was so easy and well worth the save. It is certainly a project that I WILL do again in my basement. Next time, I will find more blades as I think it wold have been really cool with 10 blades and a mirror in the center.

Cute tiebacks!

AS for the Hardware.....These will get a quick coat of spray paint and will make curtain Tie-backs!


This was an easy craft (if you want to call it that) and an even easier way to re-purpose something that is thrown away everyday. In spring and summer...my dumpster diving buddies can find these in any trash pile outside of a home that is being fixed-up or gutted.

I hope you enjoyed this 15 minute idea and please share any ideas or special projects that you have created!
Happy recycled crafting!

8 comments:

Post a Comment