Saturday, March 16, 2013

Upcycled Ceiling Fan



Funky Wall Art!
Finished Product!

What do you do with an old-broken ceiling fan....

Make Funky RETRO Wall Art of Course!


I am always sharing about my "trash to treasure" successes. As many who have read my blogs before may know, my husband isn't always a fan of my hoarding. Sometimes, it pays off. I would like to think that this is certainly one of those instances.

It is hard to convey in print how much my husband and I bicker about trashing items. I usually come up with a use for the item, then either win the battle or sneak the item back into the garage....and I would say more than half of the time I never end up getting to my project. Don't think that he doesn't point this out! You can imagine, however, his lack of humor when I asked to keep old ceiling fan blades. The old fan was removed when we moved into out home and just now...3 years later, I have gone back to the project!

I now have an extremely funky wall design that cost me less than $3.00 in total and was tons of fun. This was one that my children could really help with! I can imaging that buying this pre-packaged at a big-box store would have cost over $50. I would have spent money and lost out on precious quality time with my kids!

Here is what I did to create my Funky Focal Piece:


These blades were already white so it required zero painting! :)
I removed the brass hardware which took all of 5 minutes
Found a funky clock at the Goodwill Store for $1.99
Positioned the blades around the clock and secured with screws
DONE


This project was so easy and well worth the save. It is certainly a project that I WILL do again in my basement. Next time, I will find more blades as I think it wold have been really cool with 10 blades and a mirror in the center.

Cute tiebacks!

AS for the Hardware.....These will get a quick coat of spray paint and will make curtain Tie-backs!


This was an easy craft (if you want to call it that) and an even easier way to re-purpose something that is thrown away everyday. In spring and summer...my dumpster diving buddies can find these in any trash pile outside of a home that is being fixed-up or gutted.

I hope you enjoyed this 15 minute idea and please share any ideas or special projects that you have created!
Happy recycled crafting!

10 comments:

  1. Nice job you did! Regards, Pascale

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's cute! Thanks for sharing at Repurposed Ideas Weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! It's the perfect fit for the Upcycled Linky Party going on right now on http://love2upcycle.blogspot.com

    Hope you can join us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That did turn out really cute. I love that your recycled a clock, fan and the fan parts too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing this at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very artistic! It’s obvious that you are a wise spender. I’m glad you found a way to make use of an old, broken ceiling fan to decorate your home. I had a project, as well, that involves a ceiling fan. I repainted my old ceiling fan light and used an old lamp shade cover as shade or globe for it. Do you have other DIY projects? I would love to share more ideas with you. ^___^

    Staci Severns

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do have more that I haven't brought over to this page yet...BUT I am certainly never against having a guest post :) I love getting inspiration from others!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is truly a fun and easy way to make use of your old ceiling fan blades, Heather! Though you and your husband often bicker about you being a pack rat, I don't see anything bad in it especially when you can come up with pretty crafts like this one. Good job and thank you for sharing!
    Brooklyn Fan & Blower Sales Company

    ReplyDelete
  9. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article
    buy mist fan supplier in dubai 2018

    ReplyDelete