Monday, June 10, 2013

Homemade Dish Soap



Over the last 6 months or so, I have been making a very conscious effort to rid my home of chemicals. Orginally, I looked at the "organic" products on the shelves and found that there was a price to be paid for convenience! So...I began finding ways to make and create my own cleaning supplies and to my surprise...they work! I have previously made my own dishwashing detergent, spray cleaners, laundry soap, etc...but this was the LAST piece to my cleaning puzzle....HOMEMADE DISH SOAP.

After the recent loss of my dishwasher (RIP), I found myself paying almost $4 a bottle for liquid dish soap to avoid the chemical filled ones. That was NOT going to last long! So...I did some digging and found this amazing recipe that is not only frugal for an "organic" cleaner BUT saves you TONS of money even if you are buying a budget brand!

I would say that this entire jar of dish cleaner cost me about 50-75 cents and it was so easy to make!
 NOT TOO SHABBY!!! PLUS...these are almost the same ingredients that I use for m homemade laundry soap so they are already on hand--SCORE!


IMAG1138.jpg
Ingredients:
  • 2-1/2 cups boiling water
  • 1 tablespoon Borax
  • 1 tablespoon washing soda
  • 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
  • 1/2 cup castile soap ( I grated mine or you can buy liquid)
  • 8-10 drops essential oil (optional)

Here is how easy this is to do.........

1. Place castile soap into mixing container (I grated mine from a bar but you can buy the liquid)
2. Add the Borax and Washing Soda
3. Pour in the boiling water then add the vinegar
4. Add any essential oils you would like to give your soap extra fragrance! I used a bar of soap that already had essential oild in it and my soap smells amazing.

When it begins to cool, pour it into whatever container you would like to use. Over the next few hours, your soap will begin to setup and become more of a gel so it is important to pour it into a squeeze bottle BEFORE this happens!

This really was super easy and only took me about 5 minutes to make..even with grating the soap! It is well worth the time and will save you TONS in the long run!




3 comments:

  1. The 'washing soap', is that dishwashing soap? I am looking for things I can make instead of buying the expensive chemical free stuff too! Thanks for sharing this at the Lovely Linky. Also, I don't know much about borax, is it safe and stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing a 'go green roundup' post and I am posting a link to this recipe. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this yesterday! It is fabulous, cuts grease, and was extremely easy to make. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete